Book 1 of 5o in my quest to read 50 books in 52 weeks. (2013)
This has to be one of the best books I’ve read in a long time.
While researching for the series “HOPE” I stumbled on this book actually by accident. It was long before I was glad i did. It is one of the most riveting stories I’ve ever read about Louis Zamperini who lived the first 30 years of his life giving Job a run for the most tragic story.
Before he turned 30, Louis was:
- a troubled young child
- in and out of major trouble
- became a record setting local runner and legend
- became an Olympic athlete
- held a word record for the mile run
- became an army solider
- crashed into the Pacific during WWII
- stayed a drift for 47 days while being daily attacked by sharks and surviving Japanese air plane attacks
- made it to land only to become an instant POW
- tortured for info at one camp then sent to another …. then another
- finally returning home after the war
- getting married
- becoming a raging alcoholic
- almost losing his wife and child
All before turning 30. However, one night all that changed. As so many did who attended a Billy Graham evangelistic campaign, he gave his heart and life to Jesus Christ. He began to recover from so many set backs and even eventually traveled to Japan, found the guards who had once tortured him, and forgave them personally.
Such an amazing story.
Below is a YouTube video and part one in a series of interviews Louis gave. I highly recommend this book if you want to read a story about a man who simply would not give up. It also illustrates the amazing love of God toward us all.
Louis can say just as Joseph did, “What you intended for evil, God made it good.” -Genesis
[vsw id=”I9O5yVzc0vQ” source=”youtube” width=”640″ height=”340″ autoplay=”no”]
[vsw id=”xax7l-bDJKg” source=”youtube” width=”640″ height=”340″ autoplay=”no”]