Book: Fresh Wind Fresh Fire
Author: Jim Cymbala
Amazon Link: Click here
From Publishers Weekly:
The Times Are Urgent
God Is on the Move
Now Is the Moment to …
ask God to ignite his fire in your soul!
Pastor Jim Cymbala believes that Jesus wants to renew his people—to call us back from spiritual dead ends, apathy, and lukewarm religion.
Cymbala knows the difference firsthand. Thirty-five years ago his own church, the Brooklyn Tabernacle, was a struggling congregation of twenty. Then they began to pray … God began to move … street-hardened lives by the hundreds were changed by the love of Christ … and today they are more than ten thousand strong.
The story of what happened to this broken-down church in one of America’s toughest neighborhoods points the way to new spiritual vitality in the church and in your own life. Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire shows what the Holy Spirit can do when believers get serious about prayer and the gospel. As this compelling book reveals, God moves in life-changing ways when we set aside our own agendas, take him at his word, and listen for his voice.
This book is something every Christian should read. It reminds me to never underestimate the importance and power of prayer. Here are a couple of my favorite quotes and ideas:
- God is more powerful than anybody’s past, no matter how wretched. He can make us forget – not by erasing the memory but by taking the sting and paralyzing effect out of it.
- It may not seem obvious at first glance, but the way we make decisions in life tells a lot about the kind of faith we have in Jesus Christ.
- No matter what I preach or what we claim to believe in our heads, the future will depend upon our times of prayer.
- Jesus called fishermen, not graduates of rabbinical schools. The main requirement was to be natural and sincere.
- I despaired at the thought that my life might slip by without seeing God show himself mightily on our behalf.
- Faith never denies reality but leaves room for God to grant a new reality.